[squeak-dev] Re: Another FFI/Installer issue

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Sat Aug 2 21:58:11 UTC 2008

Hi,

>Maybe is time to re-think about who should be in the Release Team ?

No - if this problem continues to appear on the list we just need to fix the problem/images
(not the release team itself)  ;)

>Maybe nobody cared to rebuild new images with the fix?
>>Its not that "no body cared". Thats a little harsh... since ...

My posting today was not intended to criticize Edgars work or the Release Team.
Maybe the intention get's clearer with some background info:

I tested 3.10 on a regular basis and I contacted Andreas in March after having the FFI
problem and reported to the squeak-dev list [1] together with a mantis report [2].
After Andreas reported a fix [3] on the squeak list I also added his fix to Mantis.

After a while I tried a newer image for 3.10 (Squeak3.10.1-7175-basic.zip) and since the problem
was still there I now reported to the official V3dot10 list [4] in May - with the result that the fix
is now at least in the preliminary 3.11 (posting from Keith [5]).

AFAIK it's not fixed in the "Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic.zip" which is the latest
downloadable 3.10 version and linked from the squeak.org webpage. I dont "care about" the
reason and havent followed the issue since my own build scripts easily apply the fix.

Maybe the fix in 6980 just slipped through, the fix is to unstable or maybe there is no general interest
or to much work in rebuilding the 3.10 image for this particular issue or most people know how to apply
fixes from Mantis, maybe people still use 3.9 - I dont really know , I can just guess.

What I know is that I got no answer on the V3dot10 list regarding the issue to be fixed for the
current 3.10 Squeak image. So my impression was and still is that nobody cared/or has an interest
on having a newer 3.10 image built to solve this issue there. Maybe having it in a 3.11 script is good
enough and a new 3.10 image is not necessary. But since I dont really know I've put a question
mark on the statement! Nothing more said.

>all "should" be well.

Maybe, but that depends. I still think that it's hard for beginners starting with 3.10
(or Squeakers who do not regulary scan Mantis/dev list or know about Installer)
to be faced with a problematic image after loading FFI...

Bye
Torsten

[1] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-March/127207.html
[2] http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6980