[squeak-dev] Re: Another FFI/Installer issue

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Aug 2 22:52:16 UTC 2008

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> Because of that, i have a strong bias that FFI plugin should be
> included as internal plugin into VM by default (and FFI package could
> still be optional, but it should be tested to be able to loaded
> without problems in ANY image).
> The arguments for not putting it, some people like repeating, that FFI
> puts instability into image/VM seem very odd as to me. A running
> Croquet is best illustration what such arguments worth.

It's not about stability, it's about security. Without the FFI, it is
possible to have a fairly well sand-boxed environment (see Squeakland
for example). With the FFI, this is simply impossible. That's why the
FFI isn't built-in, and likely never will be for any VMs that I release.

Cheers,
   - Andreas