[squeak-dev] Re: Another FFI/Installer issue

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Aug 2 23:08:44 UTC 2008

> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>> Because of that, i have a strong bias that FFI plugin should be
>> included as internal plugin into VM by default

Unless there is a serious flaw in the implementation any plugin should
be perfectly usable as an external plugin. *No* plugin that I am
familiar with (yes, I'm not familiar with every single one of them)
needs to be bound internally in order to work.

In fact I'd go so far as to claim the the only reason to bind plugins
internally is for packaging reasons relating to the platform being
totally braindead about packages. Why is it that 20 years after RISC
OS demonstrated that an utterly trivial packaging implementation was
both doable and very effective and 5 years (or so) after OSX
demonstrated that a similar (did I say copied? Not me. Though it
probably is, since I know some folk worked on both) system worked
rather well on unix filesystems, we still don't see it being used
everywhere? Oh yeah - the software world has its collective head up
its collective rectum. I forgot.

tim
Useful random insult:- Settled some during shipping and handling.