[squeak-dev] Squeak and ODBC

Benoit St-Jean bstjean at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 3 01:56:04 UTC 2008

Is there anyone besides myself, Andreas Raab and Rob Rothwell who'd like to help on a new ODBC library for Squeak?

The idea is still in it's infancy and maybe it's time to voice your opinion if you use ODBC with Squeak!  Features missing?  Wishes?  Ideas?

We should first establish a list of features and/or a roadmap as well as find an answer to the following questions :

1) which driver should this support ? (Microsoft ODBC, iODBC, UnixODBC, other?);
2) it should be built from which Squeak version (3.7, 3.8, 3.9, 3.10, other?);
3) it should work on which platform (do we include RiscOS, Mac, other?);
4) it should be tested against which database (DB/2, Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Informix, Sybase, Interbase, other?);
5) it should be available/compatible for other "Squeak variants" (Croquet and Pharo for instance?);
6) did I forget anything?

The more people we have and the more different platforms, databases and "Squeak images/versions/variants" we have, the better this thing will be.

So, once again, anyone interested in coding, testing, whatever-ing ?

Speak out!

Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Blog: lamneth.wordpress.com
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)