[squeak-dev] Re: About controlling debugger popping up

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Aug 5 17:20:57 UTC 2008

In Sophie we do exactly that, we prompt the user for permission and
ask for name-address-etc, plus any other additional information.

(a) many people give permission, we had to alter the stack trace-back
logic to print lots more data btw. Perhaps as much as 200K of data has
to come back in order to figure out why the walkback occured.

(b) No one ever supplies contact information, they will anonoymously
beg for help tho. Sadly anonoymous pleas for help can't be answered

(c) That gets POSTed to a web site, where the server then saves and
emails the Sophie Support Engineer. Obviously a bit of programming
there could use a database to figure out if the error is unique or not
etc. Even say to emailing the person back with a problem tracking
number or existing entry