[squeak-dev] Strange Unix file behavior?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Aug 8 13:01:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 01:29:48PM +0100, Tony Garnock-Jones wrote:
> David T. Lewis wrote:
>
> >Similarly, in Squeak it would make sense to be able to open a directory
> >file as a file stream, and then be able to read its contents.
>
> What would you expect read(2) on a directory to return? Is it standardised?

Well, I had *expected* read() to read byes from the directory file, but as
Paolo explained, my expectation is not correct for newer unix-like systems.

So I retract my comment that it would make sense in Squeak to be able read
the directory file. Squeak is just doing what the underlying platform lets
it do, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Dave