[squeak-dev] Letting Set contain nils?

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 12:41:42 UTC 2008

2008/8/9 Giovanni Corriga <giovanni at corriga.net>:
> Igor Stasenko ha scritto:
>>
>> yes, i raised this topic exactly from this reason.
>> What i'm not sure that is this change is so badly needed.
>> Maybe its only me who get stuck with a problem how to deal with sets
>> where nils are meaningful and useful value.
>>

> Could it be that you're possibly missing an abstraction here? why not use a
> different object, specialized for your needs, to represent your null value?

Because other part(s) of the system may not know about nulls as
representation of nils, and in own turn may want to abstract a set
containing nils - so it will use own null2 abstraction.. In result
your end up operating with sets containing nulls and null2-s :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.