[squeak-dev] [ANN] Monticello 2.0.17

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Mon Aug 11 06:27:41 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm very happy to announce that Monticello 2.0 is ready for download.
This is a ground-up rewrite, using a new, more flexible and more
performant versioning engine.

http://www.wiresong.ca/static/releases/Monticello-current.zip

A note about versioning numbers. In an effort to make releases easier
to understand, I'm adopting a new scheme of version numbers for
releases. They'll each have a major, a minor and a release number.
Major numbers will be incremented only for major architectural changes
or significant incompatibility with prior versions. Minor numbers will
be incremented for significant new features, while release numbers
will be incremented for *any* change to the code or documentation.

This version, 2.0.17, is the first version of the 2.0 code base that I
feel is ready for general use, though I've been using it for
production code on several projects for several months now, and the
basic versioning engine has been stable for quite some time. Version
2.0.17 has only been tested on Squeak 3.10, but I hope to add support
for earlier versions of Squeak soon.

Although MC 2.0 is stable and useful, there's one important feature
that is still missing: a network enabled repository. The architectural
differences between 1.x and 2.0 mean that the HTTP- and FTP-based
repositories used with MC 1.x don't work well with 2.0. I'm planning
to implement remote repositories in Monticello 2.1.

As always, feedback is welcome. One thing I've learned in using MC 2
is that it's quite different than MC 1 and it takes a while to get
used to it - even for me. This milestone has been a long time coming,
and I'm glad to finally reach it, but it's really just the beginning.
I'm looking forward to seeing what becomes of it.

Colin