[squeak-dev] SqueakMap revival

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 12 13:27:37 UTC 2008

Oooh,

Sake/Packages does virtual dependencies, but not conflicts, I hadn't
thought of that...!

A problem S/P has with SM and Universes is going in the reverse
direction Sake/Packages (subscribers can edit) to SM/Uni (only package
publisher can edit).

Any ideas? Could SM hold two lots of metadata, and users pick either
"author blessed" latest or "subscriber says is ok" latest.

Sake/Packages has several levels

Packages beta  "for the absolute latest package, if published"
Packages current "for the subscriber says is ok"
Packages universe "for the author published to the universe package"
Packages squeakmap "for the squeakmap published package"

How about a feedback facility in SM for users to report their experiences?

One problem we may have is that the list of "loaded packages" is managed
several times over and they get out of sync. MCWorkingCopy,
PackagesOrganizer, and in Sake/Packages class Packages>>#provided all
have a list. I am also anticipating that MC2 will have another similar
scheme.

So in the very latest alpha MC1.5 (not yet in LPF) I have moved towards
a scheme whereby it expects PackagesOrganizer to hold the master list of
"loaded packages", and PackageInfo instances are willing to hold
meta-data on behalf of other client tools.

regards

Keith