[squeak-dev] [ANN] Monticello 2.0.20

Avi Bryant avi at dabbledb.com
Wed Aug 13 23:26:25 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 1:29 AM, Lukas Renggli <renggli at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am would like to see some documentation on how to migrate from the
> old Monticello. Also I am eagerly awaiting the network repositories.

Here's a strategy that I think would work to allow networked
collaboration with MC2 in its current state.  Colin, let me know if
I'm making any faulty assumptions here or misremembering how MC2
works.

1. For your project, create a separate file repository for each
developer.  So, Lukas, if you, Colin and I were all collaborating on
something, we would have lr.mcr, avi.mcr, and cwp.mcr.
2. Set up a script which rsyncs these three files to a shared
location.  Each developer should have this script set up to *upload*
their own mcr and to *download* everyone else's.
3. Commit to your own repository (I would commit to avi.mcr), and then
run the script.  Or, have a cron job which runs it every few minutes.

Since the project has all three repos added, everyone's versions
should show up together in the UI.  Since each developer is only
modifying his own file, there shouldn't be any conflicts at the file
level.  Since the .mcr files are always only appended to, rsync should
be able to update them quite efficiently (right?).  And although there
would be some duplication (each developer's repo would contain its own
copy of most of the method versions), it would be O(developers) not
O(versions) as MC1 is.

Thoughts?

Avi