[squeak-dev] [ANN] Monticello 2.0.20

Avi Bryant avi at dabbledb.com
Thu Aug 14 06:39:39 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:16 PM, Lukas Renggli <renggli at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here's a strategy that I think would work to allow networked
>>  collaboration with MC2 in its current state.  Colin, let me know if
>>  I'm making any faulty assumptions here or misremembering how MC2
>>  works.
>
> Ok, that makes sense for a company. What about projects like Seaside
> or OB where there are numerous developers that frequently change?

Managing the client side of that is easy: the image needs to know to
look for new .mcr files in a certain directory and add them
automatically as read-only repositories.  The rsync script needs to
look for these on the server and download them automatically.

As for managing the server, well, you could certainly add a unix
account for each developer and set the permissions on the files
appropriately so that they could only write to their own .mcr.  The
one thing this doesn't account for at all is anonymous commits...

> A related question is if there is anything in place that prevents .mcr
> files from corruption when are accessed concurrently. I imagine that
> you could keep the repository files on a shared drive somewhere.

I think this should basically work, as long as two people aren't
committing at precisely the same time.  Even if they do, it might
still work, I just don't remember if it's guaranteed :)

Avi