[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Monticello 2.0.20

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Fri Aug 15 19:16:07 UTC 2008

On 15-Aug-08, at 7:27 AM, Tony Garnock-Jones wrote:

> So, MC likes to talk about nodes (whole artifacts) rather than edges
> (changes/deltas), primarily?

Yes. MC captures the state of an artifact and relates it to previous
states. The deltas almost never reified - the only exception is when
the user asks to view the differences between two states.

> This is one of the things that darcs does very differently from most
> of the other DVCSs out there: most of them talk about nodes, darcs
> talks only about edges and infers the nodes when it needs to. It's
> an interesting tradeoff.

Darcs is interesting, certainly. The initial impetus for MC2 was a
discussion Avi and I had about the Darcs theory of patches, but we
ultimately decided to go in a different direction.

Colin