[squeak-dev] Re: Clearing the changes file

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Mon Aug 18 15:39:24 UTC 2008

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:21:58 +0200, Thomas Kowark wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am currently developing an application that continuously creates and
> deletes methods on its own. This, however, leads to the changes file
> exceeding the limits of what Squeak can handle. The error message tells
> me to take "some actions", but unfortunately I'm not quite sure, what to
> do now. I have renamed the changes file as a first fix, but this leads
> to errors upon startup. So does anybody know what might be the best
> solution here?

Some action here usually means that you have to start with a fresh .image
and .changes file, then load your app into it. There can be other
possibilities like #condenseSources but this doesn't seem to apply to the
situation you describe (you continously create and delete methods
programmatically).

> Secondly, I wanted to ask if it is possible to prevent changes of
> methods that match certain naming patterns from being written to the
> changes file?

You might want to look at senders and implementors of
#acceptsLoggingOfCompilation, same for #wantsChangeSetLogging if you are
concerned about memory and time.

HTH.

/Klaus