[squeak-dev] Re: Is there an up to date tutorial for making plugins?

EthanChang ckinweng at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 19 09:43:45 UTC 2008

Ang Beepeng wrote:

> I have search the web and found several links that sounds useful. But they
> seem out of date and do not work as instructed. Is there an up to date one
> for a simple example plugin?

The first  http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/compiling.html useful tutorial  I
encounter is to set up the tools for VM compilation. I am going to simplify
the steps as follows:

1. Download the Squeak VM Win32 Source from the
http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/ release directory , into C:\. It
saves you a lot of fine tuning work instead of putting your stuff in other
folders, for example, the Makefile adjustment.

2. Install VMMaker() from the package loader in Squeak, and check the System
Browser for the Win32VMMaker class, remove it and replace it by filing in
the new Win32VMMaker.st from
http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms/win32/build/ here .

3. Execute "VMMakerTool openInWorld", and complete the fields as follows:
    Interpreter class name: Interpreter
    Path to platform code: C:\SqueakVM\platforms
    Platform name: Win32
    Path to generate sources: C:\SqueakVM\platforms\win32\build\src

4. Then drag the plugins from Plugins not build into Internal Plugins, and
then click on the generate entire button. This will generate the
corresponding C files that are used to compile your new VM.

5. The next step is to get the
http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/Squeak-Win32-Tools-1.2.zip compiling
tools . After extracting the file, you should have two folders "dx7sdk" and
"gnutools". Put these folders in C:\ as well.

6. Next, set the path by going into System Properties>Advanced>Environmental
Variables. Edit the variable path, by adding in "C:\GNUTools\bin", with a
semicolon as a separator.

7. Then, go to the commamd prompt C:\SqueakVM\platforms\win32\build\ and
invoke "make". If there exists an error, generate the plugins again from
Squeak, and invoke make again. After a few minutes of waiting, you should
have your VM in the obj\vm directory of the build.

8. If you want a custom VM, there are a few things that need to be done.
First, edit the Makefile in the build directory, change VM = Whatever; then,
add another rule right at the bottom of the file,

#       Whatever.res: misc/Whatever.rc
#	     $(RC) $(RCFLAGS) -i $< -o $(OBJDIR)/$@ Then save and close Makefile.

9. Duplicate a Whatever.def.in file from Squeak.def.in in the build
directory and Duplicate a Whatever.rc file from Squeak.rc in the win32/misc
folder and you can actually edit your icons there. For example, if you
prefer the Croquet icon rather than the original Squeak icon, duplicate from
Croquet.rc instead !

10. Invoke make in the command prompt again to enjoy your first VM !!