[squeak-dev] How to find...?

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Wed Aug 20 23:55:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 16:26 -0700, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
> Thank you, Ken,
>
> > I'm not sure what sort of detail you are looking for.  If you mean the
> > sort of textual information you might find in a changeset preamble you
> > might be able to find that information in the MC repository, hopefully
> > including a reference to a Mantis report with further information.  Go
> > to http://source.squeakfoundation.org/39a.html and click on Versions and
> > search for the specific version you want to examine, then look at the
> > details, you can even browse the code as of that version if you
> > want.
>
>   The detail I'm looking for is to make the mapping from the author
> initials to the authors full name.  I don't mind to look at the
> textual information in the preamble, but it is hard to find which one
> contains the method and the version in question.
>

>   I managed to fill most of the '?'  marks on:
>
> http://www.netjam.org/squeak/contributors/missingSignatories
>
> but not the 3.9 era contributors.  How would you find who 'tp' was,
> for example?
>
>   (How about:
>
> 'ASF', 'edt', 'EP', 'EW', 'm', 'NDCC', 'sk', 'YE'?

I can sort of help regarding 'YE'.  I ran into those initials when
planning to export SkipList and license it as MIT.  I emailed all of the
other authors of SkipList I could find and in the process asked if
anyone recognized those initials.  Stephane Ducasse replied (in the
context of SkipList): "It was one of my student and I forgot to remove
his initial when I  rewrote all his tests."  I'm not sure I really
understand the relevance of this response but I have not as yet
revisited it since I have not heard from a much more relevant
contributor, Scott A. Crosby (SAC).  I don't suppose he has responded
with a signature since I last checked?

Ken