[squeak-dev] MillisecondClockMask value

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 18:14:12 UTC 2008

I just stumbled over a trap with MillisecondClockMask  value which is
16r1FFFFFFF
while in Hydra code i using another mask - 16r3FFFFFFF

Can anyone tell, why mask is 1 bit shorter than maximum safe value?

16r3FFFFFFF << 1 + 1   --->  16r7FFFFFFF  - fits in positive smallint

What you think, what mask is better to keep?
I don't think that changing a mask will make any difference to
language side. Because this mask used only together with millisecond
clock values , which in C is 32 bit wrappable counter. Losing some
high bits don't makes much difference , but i think using 16r3FFFFFFF
would be better, or if not, please, tell me why.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.