[squeak-dev] Re: External language support

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 11:47:54 UTC 2008

2008/12/5 Udo Schneider <Udo.Schneider at homeaddress.de>:
> jordi inglada schrieb:
>>
>> Would you be willing to share the code you produced?
>
> I started something similar on Dolphin. The code parses SWIG XML Output and
> generates the Dolphin FFI stuff for it "automagically" including calls,
> enums and structures.
>
> However somewhere along the road my experience is that SWIG from it's nature
> really expects to produce a combination of C wrapper code and foreign
> language code. It's very hard to generate direct FFI code (w/o using the C
> wrapper) in some cases as this is simply not SWIGs intention.

Right, that's why, my SWIG module generating two files as output:
C wrapper code, and ST glue methods/classes to reflect C++ classes in smalltalk.

As for squeak, the code generation could be changed to generate
squeak-compliant plugin code
or generate wrapper library, which can to be loaded by FFI and play
role as frontend to some foreign library.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.