[squeak-dev] Re: FractalMorph 1.2 won't load into 3.10.2-7179

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 5 17:57:31 UTC 2008

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>> As I said in previous mail, we need a Packages Czar now, with power
>> to rule the Universes :=)
>>
>> I could do this , if all agree.
>
> I think this would be great. You have my support.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
I suggested this months and months ago, the
packages at list.squeakfoundation.org was seconded for this very purpose,
and is used for that very thing.

Since the keeper of Universes resisted any sensible suggestions to make
things open enough to fix problems effectively, I developed
Sake/Packages instead. I spent less time developing Sake/Packages than I
did wrestling with Universes trying to build my production image.

The best way forward is for the community to manage all of the package
definitions for all of the images in Sake/Packages. Then to have an
automated build script which is able to update the universe(s) server
from the Sake/Packages definitions.

At present this is done the other way around, Universes is synced to
Sake/Packages, but S/P reserves the right to override the universes
definition. Inability to fix a broken universe entry is still the
biggest problem in keeping things in sync.

My personally favoured option would be to forget about universes
entirely because it is a pain to keep current. But the "keeping them
bothin sync" option would certainly be worthwhile.

Keith

p.s. Andreas, Sake/Packages is data driven now.