What is Squeak (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: package universes, sake/packages, (first time) user experiences, etc.)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 14:12:07 UTC 2008

2008/12/6 Edgar J. De Cleene <edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar>:

> El 12/6/08 8:20 AM, "Herbert König" <herbertkoenig at gmx.net> escribió:
>
>> Hello Edgar,
>>
>> EJDC> 3.11 ? Vaporware....
>>
>> unnecessary destructive comment.
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Herbert
>

> Seems this point is still without a minimal consensus.
>
> For me, Squeak is a descendant of original Smalltalk.
>
> Any disagree ?
>
> Because the way of Smalltalk is a image in chicken and egg cycle and any
> image comes from previous one, mutating in the process.
>
> And Smalltalk is about objects and not about scripting.
>
> Any not sharing this should be on another list.
>
> Also Squeak once was a wonderful fun world for all.
>
> Children's, teachers, researchers and web developers.
>
> I have deep respect for Pharo people, but fellows, Pharo is not Squeak and I
> don't lost my time with it.

Hmm, i see nothing fun when i loading random package from squeak map
have a 50% chance (or less) of successfull load.
And even if it loads, it could be half-working and may lead to
DNU/crash each time i using this package.
Maybe i too dumb , because i can't see how such situation can be
called wonderfull world for "children's, teachers, researchers and web
developers".

> I know my SqueakLightII is not a silver bullet .
> I name it SqueakLightII , because 3.11 name was taked at the time and I have
> a SqueakLight before, but is really a logic step from 3.10.
> Smaller and more modular.

Being smaller doesn't makes it any more modular.

> Yesterday I have another fight on IRC with no minimal consensus.
>
> Some say I can't made image and others could do.
>
> Others say I should join they and I saw 3.11 folder empty, like when I
> create it a long , long time ago.
>
> We don't have more with us to
> Dan , Ralph , Ned, Diego , Steph , Tim , Pavel, etc.
>
> If I don't put some , is by lack of memory.
>
> So Herbert , you should know me better.
> I don't wish be destructive.
>
> I wish AWAKE Squeakers.

To awake Squeakers, you should think about developers. Not childrens,
nor teachers, because they are end users.
First we should make squeak a nice living places for devs, then
developers will turn it out to nice place for the rest in the world.
Make no toys, make things for professionals, so they can easily make own toys.
And 3.11 "vaporware" is the step towards developers, as well as Pharo.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.