[squeak-dev] Re: What is Squeak (was Re: Re: package universes, sake/packages, (first time) user experiences, etc.)

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Sun Dec 7 11:57:33 UTC 2008

El 12/7/08 7:09 AM, "Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> escribió:

> It is not. As a matter of fact I think that since the Etoy-Haters have
> now found a place they can call home there just may be a chance to get
> Squeak back to where it always belonged.
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas

Andreas, you should take the challenge now.
Nobody could say you don't know Squeak in deep as they could say to me.

I tired of no progress, only read about ideas but no evidence of going in
the good direction.

The last good Squeak release with wide consensus was 3.8

Then come people who for his own (maybe good) purposes introduce Traits.
You always said and I support still no evidence Traits give us some we don't
could made with good Smalltalk.
And introduce the troubles.
Almost all major forks is no Traits (3.8) based.

They have a good point in start to "packaging" the image and introduce
Monticello as way of start to made downloadable packages.

3.9 was a pain for all, but give a way to start to download packages and
load again.

That's was 3.10, and we don't move more out because we wish play safe.

The goal for me is going to MorphicCore Pavel made.

But as MorphicCore exist today, don't run and is only for study (sorry
Pavel)

I always said the most long shot is Spoon or whatever we call it.

But if nobody take the trouble to see how to go from existent Monticello and
current image to smaller and modular, never we could reach any of it.

I do my best, sometimes good and sometimes bad.

Try to help newbies and try to keep as fun as possible.

Who think Web 2.0 is incompatible with "old Squeak" was wrong.

I put SLWeb on ftp as soon I test and prove any could load Etoys , mp3 and
all web we have now (Aida - Seaside - HV2) on top of SqueakLightII.

Scripting people always could script it if they wish.

Edgar