What is Squeak (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: package universes, sake/packages, (first time) user experiences, etc.)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 15:44:22 UTC 2008

2008/12/7 Nikolay Suslov <nsuslovi at gmail.com>:
> Igor,
>
> On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> To awake Squeakers, you should think about developers. Not childrens,
>> nor teachers, because they are end users.
>>
>> First we should make squeak a nice living places for devs, then
>> developers will turn it out to nice place for the rest in the world.
>
>> Make no toys, make things for professionals, so they can easily make own
>> toys.
>> And 3.11 "vaporware" is the step towards developers, as well as Pharo.
>>

> To be true,
> thinking, that you have forgotten, that:
>
> Software developer or programmer is just like a translator, and nothing
> more...
> Their work is to interpret the "real world problems" of "end users" into
> "virtual world problems".
> But they NOTHING know really about these "real world problems" and how to
> solve them in "virtual world" also.
> They could only translate "word by word or letter by letter" according to
> the "sentences", constructed by the "end user" (like "from English to French
> etc.") using different models.
>
> SQUEAK is one of the attempts to develop the self-exploratory environment,
> where "developers" could not be needed for the "end users" at all,
> because "end users" are NOT "end users=impotent mans=dead users etc..", but
> they are the CREATORS of their own real and virtual worlds and life.
> So, Etoys is not a "toy", but the real "anti-developer-programmer" software
> solution attempt, that allows "end users" to be the real CREATORS.

Well, if you find a kid, who can write a web server, search engine,
3D-modeling environment just using etoys , then we don't need to
distinguish developers/non-developers anymore.
Until that moment, we obviously should do.

> "To awake Squeakers", you should think about children, teachers, etc.. and
> about developers, who accept the Etoy's philosophic concept at list.

A have nothing against Etoys. But i don't think that squeak , as
language, as environment , best and ultimately its goal was Etoys.
Etoys is done & shipped. So, lets hug each other, say bye and each go
its own road?
Or maybe there is still a lot of fun things which can be done, apart from etoys?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.