[squeak-dev] Re: What is Squeak? What is Smalltalk? (why is the list munging subject headers with "[squeak-dev]"?)

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 7 23:42:03 UTC 2008

>> Traits are actually quite cool.
>
> Traits may be cool, and/or they may just be a fad like I think Aspect
> Oriented Programming is.
>
> However from what I can tell so far Traits are not really Smalltalk-80
> at all.
>
> I Squeak still supposed to be Smalltalk-80?  Is it supposed to be
> Smalltalk + Traits?  Is it supposed to be a standards-compatible
> Smalltalk?  What is Squeak?  Who definitively can answer that these days?
As far as I am aware Traits are just an implementation detail as far as
Smalltalk-80 compatability is concerned. They may effect the users
ability to understand existing code structure, and provide additional
options for structuring code. Essentially though Traits are transparent
to 99% of client code.

Keith