[squeak-dev] Waiting for 3.11 artifacts.

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 8 23:49:41 UTC 2008

The useful part of Edgar's point was that the 3.11 folder on the ftp site sits empty.

I personally do not want to have to understand what is on the pbwiki or to navigate keith's new ways of doing things in order to play and test out a new squeak image.

What unsettles me at the moment is that two very powerful programmers are taking 3.11 in some very new directions relative to what the community is used to.

While I have a great respect in Matthew's judgment and ability to explain what he is doing, I have found from experience that Keith's notions are more of a gamble.

Keith is a gatekeeper for ideas from other communities like Ruby. He is powerfully fast. And he is focused on core changes that bring with them a lot of power and ease.

On the other hand, I am afraid I have a great trouble trying to wade into his explanations. They get (for me) too technical, too quickly. They leave me scratching my head as to what the big simple picture is all about. So I am left with no easy way of understanding or judging his work. That in itself makes me uneasy.

He and I have discussed this in private via emails.

My other concern about this release is that it is actually a development project. The code is being written concurrent with the release. Andreas made a suggestion that each release should harvest what is already available in order to reduce risk. The plan for this release (and the talents of the release team) seem to be more state-of-the-not-quite-invented-art. This is a risk to the stability and timeline of the release.

3.9 took two years and was release with so much stuff, integration bugs were almost assured. Users ran into some good ones.

3.10.2 took a year even though it was modest in scope. It too was released with some very obvious bugs that hadn't been in 3.9. The main learning that came out of it was how brittle a release became when it was dependent on MC for development.

The current 3.11 release is an effort to find a viable way to maintain a release again. But where is the project now? And where are the (understandable) artifacts?

As a bug tracker, my experience warns me of trouble when big steps are taken w/o feedback. So I am wondering if Edgar's point can't be addressed.
Could we get an alpha image of the current stable and unstable versions of 3.11 onto the ftp site?

This would serve as a check on backward compatibility and usability for 3.11. And give the rest of us something to do.