[squeak-dev] alien for powerpc

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Dec 9 06:53:55 UTC 2008

Ok, I've spent a number of hours(days?) to build some more SUnits and
create a working Alien plugin for PowerPC that at least
lets you get/put byte, short, long, and long long data  (32 bit
based), plus call APIs that use that type of data.

At the moment Float/Double does not work because of some decisions
about how to handle Float versus Long have not been made yet.
Therefore you cannot work with Float or Double objects.

Please find a 32bit universal plugin on the ftp site in the
experimental folder.
http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com/squeak.html
look for the
IA32ABI.1.0.1.bundle.zip

It would be helpful if some folks could poke at things a bit  to
understand how workable things are at the moment.

Tomorrow if time permits I'll look at structures, and I need some more
Sunits to handle Alien objects that
embed the data in the smalltalk object, versus Alien objects that use
malloc and then point to the malloced storage area.
Astute readers will know that Alien uses negative/positive size to
mediate the type, and the Sunits don't attempt usage of both types yet
to ensure there is proper coverage of the plugin support code.

--
=
=