[squeak-dev] Re: Producing alpha images

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Dec 10 06:16:37 UTC 2008

Keith Hodges wrote:
>> *Please* do realize the value of alpha images as a form of
>> communication in this community. If you post a fix for the .gz loading
>> I will happily produce an alpha image for people to play with.
> I do realize the value of alpha images thats what Bob the builder is
> for, building images automatically and constantly building and testing
> them. The plan is to have many more alphas than we have ever had before.
>
> e.g. We can have an alpha minimal image, and an alpha full image in
> which every possible package can be loaded and tested.
>
> What I don't want to do is to be continually producing these alphas,
> when if I finish Bob, he could do it for me.

This is one of the things that is wrong with this community: Everything
always needs to be done by new tools that nobody has written yet ;-)

In case you didn't notice - *I* offered to play the role of Bob the
builder for a while without you having to do anything. This kind of work
can easily be spread out without having to have dependencies on
unwritten tools. I'm sure there are other people who would help out once
we get the process going.

Cheers,
   - Andreas