[squeak-dev] Waiting for 3.11 artifacts.

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Thu Dec 11 08:43:36 UTC 2008

Hi!

Jerome Peace wrote:
> To sum up.
> I hope you have found the outpouring of concern and offers of help in this thread a help.
> The post was aimed at the community, not at you or Matthew personally.
> I appreciate your abilities and spirit of service.
>
> I am patient enough to wait until a 3.11 image is ready.
> I am willing to get involved when one is available.

Let me just chime in and point out a few "obvious facts":

- We should all be grateful for *any* work being done for the community
etc. It doesn't matter if it is about getting the damn server up or
improving our tools or just finding a silly bug. Or writing a tutorial.
All efforts are valuable. I think we all know this. :)

- The only thing I *expect* from a release team is that they:
-- Communicate with the community (up to the team leader to decide how)
-- Try to enable people to help out

I can never *expect* anyone to actually *produce* anything - because
this is an open source project, we all do the best we can given our
personal circumstances. Sometimes we have time, and sometimes we are
choked. Some of us can, and some of us can't.

Now, note that I personally don't think the 3.11 team ever has been
*officially* started! I haven't seen an announcement and I don't know
who is the team leader. So given *that fact* I don't have any complaints
yet regarding my two expectations noted above. :) Instead I am just
grateful for all the work having been done. But IMHO it is HIGH TIME to
get 3.11 in motion. Officially.

So... to move further, can someone distill this thread into howtos on
the Squeak Swiki somewhere? That seems to be a good start.

An official announcement (from the board of course) of the 3.11 team
including who is the team leader would also help. Including getting the
team table on squeak.org updated.

regards, Göran