[squeak-dev] Re: Harvesters

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 12 07:48:40 UTC 2008

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Göran Krampe wrote:
>> For example - using Installer you can today point to a fix on Mantis
>> and install that changeset as a oneliner. So people can more or less
>> "pick" the fixes they think are fine. And if we add some kind of
>> feedback system into this then fixes could become "included" if
>> enough people use them.
>
> Well, we could do something like here:
>
>   http://installer.pbwiki.com/LevelPlayingField-Squeak3:7
>
> A Wiki page (nominally password protected) with candidate fixes and
> maybe sections for "untested", "confirmed", and "problematic" with
> discussions around the issues. At the end of the process the agreed
> upon patches would go into the "approved" section and copied into an
> update stream or MC releases for the new version.
>
> If there were a page like this for every release, this may also be a
> nice way of discussing potential backport candidates etc.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
Hi Andreas,

you mean like this?

(not yet approved)  -
http://installer.pbwiki.com/MinorFixesUnstable-Squeak3:10
(ready)                    -
http://installer.pbwiki.com/MinorFixes-Squeak3:10

Thats exactly the approach I put in the original proposed 3.9.1. In Oct 2006
Similarly Bob version 1 took his build instructions from a wiki page.

Edgar complained bitterly that it was on a wiki and was remote script
based. So now we have moved it into Tasks, code managed by Monticello
(still publically editable but from within the image).

Still after fighting my way through a few fixes, I think it is still too
much like hard work.
Ken Causey and I are cooking something up

Keith