[squeak-dev] Re: A browser for the WordNet lexical db in Smalltalk, anybody?

Steven Elkins sgelkins at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 02:11:27 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 4:54 AM, Klaus D. Witzel <klaus.witzel at cobss.com> wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> on Fri, 12 Dec 2008 03:07:34 +0100, you wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:03 AM, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Steve,

>>> :)

>>> Do you happen to know Norberto, he emailed that he made an object model
>>> in
>>> Squeak some time ago. Perhaps he can find it and send it to me over the
>>> weekend.
>>
>> Don't know Norberto.  I hope he sends you an object model.  Maybe
>> you're different but the blank sheet of paper is the hardest part of
>> creating anything for me.
>
> Na, that's the easier part ;) took objects without pointers (words ->
> Strings, synset id's -> SmallIntegers, synsets -> subclass of LookupKey) and
> Dictionary, easy and extendible.
>
> Only performance of Dictionary is poor (unrelated to object model).

Saw the btree thread.

>>> P.S. suggestions for a WordNet browser GUI in Squeak, anybody ?
>>
>> Typeahead for search,
>
> Oh. Have you seen some (re-)usable code for that? This seems not to be soo
> straight-forward with morphic Squeak (example: Preferences browser).

Don't know how reusable the code is but I'm reasonably sure I've seen
some of the code tools supporting typeahead.

>> mouseover for everything in the WN archive,
>
> Nah, too many WN entries have more than a screen-full of info (all the
> relations, all the synsets they point to, etc). I thought about a *browser*
> like the Smalltalk browsers, with panes for categories/relations and
> scrollable info-area.
>
>> and
>> an easy-to-extend model.  I'm interested in poetry so one thing I've
>> thought about is adding some of poetry's technical details to a word's
>> information---syllables, stresses, rhymes, etc.
>
> This I do not understand. WordNet is about semantical relations of synsets,
> not about isolated *words* (despite "word" in its name). There is nothing
> one could store for one word, only for a synset/sense (multiple words).

Thanks for spurring me to learn what a synset is.  In case you haven't
seen it yet, the Interfaces section of the Wikipedia page (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WordNet ) has some links you may find
interesting.

> Of course a relation like "rhymes_with" could be added easily but, there's
> nothing in WordNet for morphology, affixes, syllables and such.
>
>>  With the right kind
>> of interface, I could enter a poem I like and enter (some or all of)
>> the information along the way, or just after.  Half an hour at a time.
>
> So you think about a poetry text editor? well, I thought about a browser for
> information retrival.

I'd like that, too.

--
How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment
before starting to improve the world.       -- Anne Frank