[squeak-dev] worst crash yet trying to load stuff from Packages Universe in 3.10.2....

Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. woods at planix.ca
Mon Dec 15 00:13:37 UTC 2008

OK, one more try I thought.....

I took a fresh 3.10.2-7179 image, set my preferences, opened up the
Packages Universe, carefully selected the packages I wanted, being
extra careful to avoid the ones that I've had problems with already,
and started the installs......

Things looked like they had finished fine, and so I tried clicking on
the Packages Universe window again to see what it might say and
KABOOM!  (this all retyped by hand)

	***System error handling failed***
	Original error: MessageNotUnderstood: LabelMorph class>>contents:.
		Debugger error: MessageNotUnderstood: LabelMorph class>>contensts::
	[] in Debugger class>>openOn:context:label:contents:fullView: {[:ex |
self primitiveError: 'Original error: ', title asString, ', Debuge...]}
	BlockContext>>valueWithPossibleArgs:
	[] in MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal: {[(self tempAt: 2)
valueWithPossibleArgs: {exception}]}
	blockContext>>ensure:
	MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
	MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>signal
	LabelMorph class(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #contents:
	UIThemeSoftSqueak(UITheme)>>buttonLabelForText:
	UIThemeSoftSqueak>>buttonLabelForText:
	UIThemeSoftSqueak(UITheme)>>buttonLabelFor:
	PluggableButtonMorph>>newLabel
	PluggableButtonMorph>>label:
	[] in Debugger>>buttonRowForPreDebugWindow: {[:quad | aButton :=
PluggableButtonMorph on: aDebugWindow getState:...]}
	OrderedCollection>>do:
	Debugger>>buttonRowForPreDebugWindow:
	Debugger>>buildMorphicNotifierLabelled:message:
	Debugger>>openNotifierContents:label:
	[] in Debugger class>>openOn:context:label:contents:fullView:
{[debugger := self new process: process controller: controller co...]}
	BlockContext>>on:do:
	[] in Debugger class>>openOn:context:label:contents:fullView:
{[[debugger := self new process: process controller: controller co...]}
	---------------------------
	Type CR to enter an emergency evaluator.
	Type any other character to restart.

Sadly it doesn't look like there's even any obvious hint as to what
package might have caused the problem.

I'm beginning to think this is a hopeless cause.  Clearly not even a
majority of packages in the currently published universe for 3.10.2
have ever actually been tested.

--
					Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
					<woods at planix.ca>