[squeak-dev] worst crash yet trying to load stuff from Packages Universe in 3.10.2....

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Dec 15 10:30:23 UTC 2008

On 14/12/2008, at 21:13, Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. wrote:

> OK, one more try I thought.....
>
> I took a fresh 3.10.2-7179 image, set my preferences, opened up the
> Packages Universe, carefully selected the packages I wanted, being
> extra careful to avoid the ones that I've had problems with
> already, and started the installs......
>
> Things looked like they had finished fine, and so I tried clicking
> on the Packages Universe window again to see what it might say and
> KABOOM!  (this all retyped by hand)
>
> 	***System error handling failed***
> 	Original error: MessageNotUnderstood: LabelMorph class>>contents:.
> 		Debugger error: MessageNotUnderstood: LabelMorph class>>contensts::
> 	[] in Debugger class>>openOn:context:label:contents:fullView:
> {[:ex | self primitiveError: 'Original error: ', title asString, ',
> Debuge...]}
> 	BlockContext>>valueWithPossibleArgs:
> 	[] in MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal: {[(self tempAt: 2)
> valueWithPossibleArgs: {exception}]}
> 	blockContext>>ensure:
> 	MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
> 	MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>signal
> 	LabelMorph class(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #contents:
> 	UIThemeSoftSqueak(UITheme)>>buttonLabelForText:
> 	UIThemeSoftSqueak>>buttonLabelForText:
> 	UIThemeSoftSqueak(UITheme)>>buttonLabelFor:
> 	PluggableButtonMorph>>newLabel
> 	PluggableButtonMorph>>label:
> 	[] in Debugger>>buttonRowForPreDebugWindow: {[:quad | aButton :=
> PluggableButtonMorph on: aDebugWindow getState:...]}
> 	OrderedCollection>>do:
> 	Debugger>>buttonRowForPreDebugWindow:
> 	Debugger>>buildMorphicNotifierLabelled:message:
> 	Debugger>>openNotifierContents:label:
> 	[] in Debugger class>>openOn:context:label:contents:fullView:
> {[debugger := self new process: process controller: controller co...]}
> 	BlockContext>>on:do:
> 	[] in Debugger class>>openOn:context:label:contents:fullView:
> {[[debugger := self new process: process controller: controller
> co...]}
> 	---------------------------
> 	Type CR to enter an emergency evaluator.
> 	Type any other character to restart.
>
> Sadly it doesn't look like there's even any obvious hint as to what
> package might have caused the problem.

My 5 cents of peso (less of 1 euro cent) bet is the cause is into
UITheme or the fancy enhanced look.
Look for  LabelMorph, is not a class of base 3.10, for this class
responds to contents: should be subclass of StringMorph (maybe)

> Clearly not even a majority of packages in the currently published
> universe for 3.10.2 have ever actually been tested.

No, and nobody have this duty this days.

Once more the need of a Czar of Packages arise and once more I call
for nominate one and a politics for packages.

I see Jerome and you take serious on this , so why not nominate
ourselves as "US Marshalls " and fight outlaws :=)

Edgar