[squeak-dev] not everyone _can_ be a package czar!

Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. woods at planix.ca
Mon Dec 15 18:22:41 UTC 2008

On 15-Dec-2008, at 7:53 AM, Keith Hodges wrote:

> Ralph Johnson wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 5:17 AM, Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> With Sake/Packages, everyone is a czar of packages :-)
>>>

>> Saying "everyone is a czar" is like saying "nobody is a czar".
>>

> No it isnt.

Actually literally it is.  Not everyone is capable, let alone inclined
to do what you suggest.

Practically there _MUST_ be _ONE_ czar of the _official_ PU for a
given release of Squeak (just as there must be one czar for the image
content of a given release).  Someone must take responsibility if
there is to be any real level of quality in the final product.  The
thing called "Squeak", and the default stuff that ordinary end users
can do with it, must be reasonably rock solid and stable and usable.

The Swiki currently contains outright lies about the state of PU for
Squeak 3.10.  Even most of the basic guidelines of PU are being
totally ignored by the current state of the default one for 3.10.2.
It is a totally horrendous and completely useless mess so far as I can
tell.

At the moment _nobody_ I know will _ever_ even dare try Squeak in this
state, not even the programmers, but certainly not anyone more
"beginner" than myself.

 From a user interface perspective I find SqueakMap infinitely more
usable -- if it only contained dependency information and ways to do
something with it too....  At least some simple filters can be used to
give higher assurance that something might actually work when the user
tries it.

--
					Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
					<woods at planix.ca>