[squeak-dev] not everyone _can_ be a package czar!

Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. woods at planix.ca
Mon Dec 15 19:51:51 UTC 2008

On 15-Dec-2008, at 2:05 PM, Keith Hodges wrote:
> Now then lets not get into an argument. I never said that they HAVE
> to,
> I said that they CAN.

:-)  Indeed.

However with the current state of affairs it would seem that if you
don't build your own PU then you can't have a stable and usable set of
packages from which to build your working images with.  At my level
I'm not even sure how I switch from one PU to another, let alone how I
might build my own whole PU!  Even calling it a "universe" makes it
far too daunting for end users to consider rolling their own.  "What,
I have to create a whole universe!?!?!?"  :-)

> Squeak has been without an effective packages solution for so long
> this
> has become a big deal.

I would say the main part of the problem is that there is this "new"
thing called the Package Universes tool but it really wasn't needed in
the first place -- it was a quick blast at an attempt to solve some
perceived problems without proper consideration of how those problems
could be solved with existing tools and without proper consideration
of the effects such a new tool could have on the the thing called
"Squeak" and the community that uses it.  As such it turns out to be
totally un-maintainable and useless.

Unfortunately it is installed as a great big button in the default
release and everyone is seemingly told to use it to get stuff they want.

I really think SqueakMap with dependencies would be the right fix.  At
least with SqueakMap I can filter out stuff that hasn't been "blessed"
by its maintainer(s) to work on my current release and that really
just leaves the dependencies and conflicts problems.  I think end
users could pretty much live with SqueakMap if the default filters
were set to only show stable packages for the release being run, and
if the dependency and conflict handling problems were solved.

Personally if I were in any way responsible for the Squeak 3.10.2
release I'd be removing the Package Universe button from the image and
pushing out a new release and update stream _yesterday_.

> Lets pick an example: Magma:
>
> Magma has 3 installations. Magma client, Magma server, and Magma
> tester
> Magma should work in 3.7, 3.8, 3.9, 3.10 , and 3.11(to be), and Pharo
> (to be), thats 18 different definitions in 6 universes.
>
> So when I fix a bug in magma do I have to contact 6 different czars?

With the Package Universes way of doing things, IIUC, yes, you really
must.  Someone has to take responsibility to bless new packages in
each release.

Package Universes are the logical equivalent to the pkgsrc/ports
systems in the BSD Unix world.  Pkgsrc is effectively a set of build
and install rules that end users can use to obtain specific versions
of packages that have been tested and ported to the OS release they
are using.  For example in NetBSD pkgsrc the currently "blessed"
version of Squeak is still 3.9-final-7067 and it is expected to work
on all currently supported releases of NetBSD on any supported
hardware platform.  If/when someone ports and tests a newer Squeak
release to NetBSD _and_ submits an update to the pkgsrc/lang/squeak
module then NetBSD users of Squeak will be able to upgrade.  Until
that time though only the adventuresome who know how to port and test
software from scratch will try any newer release of Squeak on NetBSD.
This process works for over 7,000 packages that have been ported and
tested to work on NetBSD (and a similar amount for FreeBSD "ports").
End users can pick and choose from any or all of those 7,000 packages
and have reasonable expectations that they will all install and
actually work.

In the BSD world package maintainers who care about their package on a
given version of BSD and/or GNU/Linux or Solaris and/or whatever do
indeed have to contact each pkgsrc/ports/whatever project to let them
know about the new release and perhaps if they really care they'll
provide updates to the relevant rules module so that each project can
more quickly update their packaging system.

Also, in pkgsrc, for example, maintainers might take responsibility
for a given package or sets of packages and watch for updates from the
original authors (or even in some cases the pkgsrc maintainer is the
author).  These maintainers have commit rights to update the relevant
pkgsrc rules modules.

See www.pkgsrc.org if you're interested in more detail.  There are
lots of applicable things that can be learned there -- especially
things about dependency and conflict management.

In the Squeak (and Squeak-related smalltalks) world I think SqueakMap
could be a better solution for this problem domain in this context,
provided of course that the dependency tracking and conflict
management problems are solved.

> With Sake/Packages I can theoretically manage the package definitions
> for all 18 in one single image. When a new version of Magma is
> released
> it takes less than 1 minute to update the specific definitions for
> all 8
> images. The non-specific 'beta' definitions may simply track "latest"
> automatically.

Really?  I'm not sure how that works.  Can you really use one image to
test loading into at least 6 separate images?  Can you run unit tests
from one image in 6 other images?

With SqueakMap, IIUC, you can immediately say which releases you or
your beta testers have tested your new packages against.  As an
unaffiliated user I can choose to turn off the release filter in my
SqueakMap interface and see your new version and try it out even if it
hasn't been tested on the release I'm using. At least then I know I'm
entering new territory on my own.

--
					Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
					<woods at planix.ca>