[squeak-dev] Re: worst crash yet trying to load stuff from Packages Universe in 3.10.2....

Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. woods at planix.ca
Tue Dec 16 21:53:39 UTC 2008

On 16-Dec-2008, at 4:28 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> > This level of QA testing for PU is trivial -- there's no valid
> excuse
> > for not doing it.
>
> In a volunteer community, yes there absolutely is. The valid excuse
> is "lack of resources" and it can only be fixed by someone (that
> means you) actually putting in the time and effort of doing it. How
> about it? You could start loading all the packages in order and see
> what the first one is that breaks? That'd be a start.

Sorry, no that is _not_ a valid excuse.

Someone made the official 3.10 PU.  Someone even made the claim that
everything in it had been tested to load (without even adding the
qualifier "on its own").  Sadly they did not also do the obvious thing
of trying to load the most recent version of everything in that PU.
It is a simple, obvious, and easy test to do and would clearly have
avoided all the troubles I have encountered.  Running all unit tests
is two or three clicks more.

Were I the person responsible for publishing that official PU I would
never have done it in the first place if I couldn't have managed to
take the time to do the basic QA testing I'm suggesting should have
been done.  Don't start something you can't finish and sure as heck
don't publish a half-finished mess and make outrageous claims about it!

I think the real problem here isn't the lack of QA testing.  The real
problem is the attitude of how things apparently got selected to be
included in the official release PU.  It (for 3.10) has ended up being
effectively just a much less usable collection of what seems to be a
vast majority of what's also in SqueakMap, and with the only advantage
in that it automatically selects known dependencies and sorts the
installs topologically.  Maybe this is useful enough for experts who
know everything about what they know they want, but it sure as heck
isn't something for anyone even at my level, let alone any true
beginner.

The FunSqueak image might be better for beginners, but it has similar
breakage as Pharo -- stuff might be loaded, but it still doesn't
work.  Running all SUnit tests in FunSqueak shows even more breakage
everywhere in the image -- doing so actually core-dumps the VM on OSX
not far into the over 7000 tests.

In an ideal world something like FunSqueak should be the product of a
full load of everything in the official "release" PU, and it should be
something in which all the SUnit tests run green after the load.

At least the 3.10.2-final-7179 image does pass most of the 2254 tests
it includes (I get 2 failures on OSX)

--
					Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
					<woods at planix.ca>