[squeak-dev] [ANN] ConflictFinder (help needed!)

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Dec 17 10:10:12 UTC 2008

El 12/17/08 2:52 AM, "Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> escribió:

> Folks -
>
> In light of Greg's recent issues with conflicts between packages I spent
> this evening writing a little tool called ConflictFinder. What it does
> is taking a set of actions and computes conflicts arising from running
> these actions. In its simplest use it works like here:
>
> ConflictFinder findConflictsIn:{
>    'FooPackage'    -> [(FileStream readOnlyFileNamed: 'Foo.st') fileIn].
>    'MantisFix1234' -> [Installer mantis ensureFix: 1234].
>    'Mumble'        -> [MczInstaller installFileNamed: 'Foo-xyz.123.mcz'].
> }.
>
> It prints the analysis to the transcript by default but you can override
> its log file appropriately. Since I didn't know how to get the universe
> browser to load stuff automatically, I decided to cheat and run it like
> here to test it on the problem in question:
>
> ConflictFinder findConflictsIn:{
>    'SmallDEVS' -> [self notify: 'Please load SmallDEVS'].
>    'Polymorph' -> [self notify: 'Please load Polymorph'].
> }.
>
> After loading the packages manually when prompted the analysis showed
> this result:
>
> LabelMorph (conflicts with SmallDEVS)
> LabelMorph>>initialize (conflicts with SmallDEVS)
> LabelMorph>>drawOn: (conflicts with SmallDEVS)
> StringMorph>>minHeight (conflicts with SmallDEVS)
>
> So there is a conflict between LabelMorph in the packages *as well as*
> StringMorph>>minHeight (which happens to be an equivalent modification
> but shows that the tool does indeed unearth unexpected conflicts).
>
> The next step would be to find someone who ties this into the universe
> browser and just starts loading packags randomly. At which point a
> concerted community action of just people reporting back their results
> should be able of finding 90% of the conflicts in the current PU in no time.
>
> Any volunteers for helping with this?
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas
> ?

I take this and the challenge to made Greg happy.

I have a modest house LAN with all major OS (Windows XP and Vista, OS X
Tiger and Leopard, SimplyMEPIS)
And a iPod Touch (still do not have Squeak running here, but I hope soon I
have)
Have plenty of time and energy to work.

And call Keith and Jerome to test SqueakLightII

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6056

Maybe we could find a agreement , polish rough edges and have both, a "old
image building" and a "scripting image building " ?

Edgar