[squeak-dev] Re: Mantis fixes

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Fri Dec 19 08:38:43 UTC 2008

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 23:57:18 +0100, Keith Hodges wrote:

>>> That's fine with me although I will wait a bit to see if anyone has a
>>> complaint.  But at the same time an explanation of why would be greatly
>>> appreciated.  I don't think it is anything you can rely on as few of us
>>> do it (I think I myself have forgotten more than once)
>>
>> I'm a user of this Mantis-wikilike-attach-me-a-fix system and I also
>> have forgotten this more than once. It would help if Installer could
>> look for that by itself, M1234 cannot not be hard to find in a String ;)
> Installer doesn't use the Mxxxx prefix at all, it was Tim's idea.

But he doesn't need them (err, forgets as others forget),

12-27-07 23:05 	tim 	File Added: FileCopyPluginFixes.zip
06-25-08 04:08 	tim 	File Added: 32bitclean-dtl.zip

I think it would be eaiser (and less "forgettable"), if for some reason
someone wants the issue # in a download from Mantis, to type it into
his/her file save dialog (the issue number is displayed prominently in the
web browser's window.title when file save dialog pops up).

> I just
> wanted the change sets to look tidier, in the changeset browser, and be
> easier sort in a list.

Yes, appreciated. But can't that be done by Installer who is in control (I
mean, that Installer names the changeset in a suitable way)? For example:
if changeset name is not prefixed by M1234 then Installer does that for us.

BTW does the changeset still know where it came from (like, URL prepended
to preamble), that would be terrific (!) of course, if that's possible
then it could say something like "Installer on <date+time> did <url>" you
know what I mean.

>> Regardless of that I'm positively surprised how smooth that works with
>> a dinosaur (pre-Ajax system) like Mantis but the advantages speak for
>> themselves:
>>
>> - focus is on the issue level
>> - sub-issue levels are status, notes, attachments, relations
>> - no need to invent unique wiki page id's or watch out for clashes
>>
>> And I can always see which of the patches/fixes made it into the
>> "upstream". Is there a summary report available somehow (perhaps from
>> Installer?).
> The csv export is searchable from Installer, so it would be good to do.
>
> Installer mantis search: [ :bug | bug category = 'Collections' ]

Ah, thanks -- will check that.

> A full export download of Mantis is available in
> ftp://squeak:viewpoints@squeak.warwick.st/mc/Mantis packages
> 'Mantis-Core' 'Mantis-Bugs' that we could run such queries against.
>> Or are there plans that Installer sets one of the status fields so
>> that reporters+developers can filter that out by themselves?
> I would like to do something like that, but it is tricky to work out
> exactly what will work.
>
> Installer records the fixes that it applied in: Installer mantis
> fixesApplied

O.K. thanks again.

> I wanted two coloured status' to indicate 1) that they are in the
> test-candidate image, and 2) that they are in the
> stable-candidate-image.

Sounds good, then the reporters+developers can filter their stuff.

> The "fixed in" field: can indicate which image
> the fix is targeted for.

That would be great, it could have multiple entries "fixed in 3.11,
3.10.2".

> We dont currently have a field that indicates
> "Fix available", like an in-tray. I also think that the "resolved" field
> could use some more options, since "fixed/open" are all that is
> generally used.

Good luck with that ;) I'm sometimes puzzled what status to assign/was
assigned by someone, in what situation ;)

/Klaus

--
"If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it".
Albert Einstein