[squeak-dev] Cog VM status update

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri Dec 19 15:00:09 UTC 2008

Hi Eliot,

Eliot Miranda wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 5:31 AM, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org
> <mailto:juan at jvuletich.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Andreas, Eliot,
>
>     Thank you very much for this effort, for funding it, and for
>     making it available to the community!
>
>         ... it is possible (albeit unlikely at this point) that the
>         focus might shift towards FFI speed or float inlining....
>

>     Can you tell a bit more about "float inlining"? I guess you're
>     talking about immediate (unboxed) floats, right? That could mean
>     no longer need to do plugins for numerical stuff. I would love to
>     have that!
>

>  I tried to post a reply yesterday but hit the 100k limit and the list
> moderator refused to let my reply in anyway.

If you Eliot have a limit to what you can say in this list, someone is
really wrong!

> There are two things here.  Yes, one is doing immediate floats in a
> 64-bit VM, which can produce floating-point that runs at half
> SmallInteger speed, perhaps three times faster than boxed floats.

Yes! That would already be great.

> But much more interesting is an adaptive optimization/speculative
> inlining scheme which aims to map floating-point operations down to
> the processor's floating-point registers.  ere;s an abstract from my
> AOStA design sketch (that I tried to post yesterday but was bounced)
> that describes how this might be done.  The basic idea for an adaptive
> optimizer is to use two levels, one bytecode to bytecode and another
> bytecode to machine code.  The bytecode to bytecode level is written
> in Smalltalk and is clever (does type analisys, inlining, etc).  The
> bytecode to machine code level is not clever, but is processor-specific.
> ... big snip...

Thanks for all the detail.

> If this can work then yes, plugins could become a thing of the past.
>  However, I doubt very much that Qwaq will fund me to do this.  Right
> now with a Squeak VM that is 10 to 20 times slower than VisualWorks'
> VM Qwaq Forums spends roughly 2/3rds of its time executing Smalltalk.
>  The bulk of the rest of the time is in OpenGL.  The Cog JIT I'm
> working on now should be able to reach ViaualWorks VM speeds and hence
> the 66.6% should become no more than, say, 6% of entire execution
> time, with say 90% of the time in OpenGL.
>
> A second stage JIT doing adaptive optimization/speculative inlining
> could probably improve performance by another factor of three.  But
> that would produce only a 4% improvement in Qwaq Forums performance.
>  Yes, it might allow Qwaq to rewrite all their C plugin code in
> Smalltalk and get the same performance from the Smalltalk code that
> would then be easier to maintain and enhance etc.  But where is the
> return on investment (ROI)?
>
> The system would not be measurably faster for Qwaq Forums.  The
> maintainability/extensibility benefits are intangible and hard to sell
> to investors.  Hence I don't see Qwaq funding this, and it it was my
> call and my money I'd probably make the same decision.  However, we
> haven't even begun to discuss this inside Qwaq so you never know.
>
> best
> Eliot

I see.

I can see a great use for such technology in Morphic 3. This is my
project for redesigning Morphic. It makes heavy use of floating point
for all the rendering. It currently uses a plugin, but that makes it
harder to extend and enhance it. May be some day it could become a
reason to actually do what you describe, and a means to get funding for it.

Thanks for your detailed answer.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich