To prepare 3.9.1

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 21:28:17 UTC 2008

2008/2/1, stephane ducasse <stephane.ducasse at free.fr>:
> Hi all
>
> some people asked if we could produce 3.9.1.

That would be really appreciated from my side.

> Here is their list of suggested items:
>
> "We use the following three fixes that are crucial for any server setup:
> 0006581: Image freezes (background processes like Seaside make no
> progress) and Squeak hoggs CPU
> This is the image freezing problem, where connecting with VNC and
> moving the mouse would bring the image alive again. When being stuck,
> Squeak hoggs the CPU, memory consumtion is stable. http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6581
> Note: fix takes only effect if Preferences enable: #serverMode !
> --------
> 0006588: Broken Semaphore>>critical: leads to frozen processes in Delay
> VNC doesn't respond to UI events, 0% cpu usage, several processes
> frozen in Delay although our Seaside server still responds. http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6588
> --------
> 0006576: Delay is not thread-safe
> Delay is not thread-safe since currently the calling process updates
> the internal Delay structure itself. If the process gets terminated
> while doing this (e.g., adding/removing from SuspendedDelays) the
> whole system is left in an inconsistent state and breaks. http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6576
> --------
> 0006524: TTFonts can't load unicode character maps
> - http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6524
> --------
> Font caching
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6089
>
> Something else, that would be good to change is to remove OmniBrowser.
> There are two reasons why I've done this manually for the base image
> of our build process:
> - with the old version of OmniBrowser installed the newer version
> cannot be loaded automatically with Monticello (If I remember
> correctly because there packages have been moved or renamed)
> - for production we need small images (a few MBs per image can make a
> significant difference when running hundreds of images)
>
> Now tell me if some others are important for us.
> I was thinking that Nebraska and Speech could be removed too.
>
> So let me know I will try to do my best to produce 3.9.1

Yes, the pathes to make the latest Yaxo work, see:
See "Yaxo / 3.8.2 / 3.9.1 / 3.10", and "Preliminary new Yaxo version" threads
synch with Mike

from other 3.9.1 threads (GMail rocks):
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6768
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6512
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=1602

Also the timeForSpeed and accuratedDateAndTimeNow patches should be
considered IMHO.

Cheers
Philippe