Editing class method sources in single place

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Feb 2 04:16:47 UTC 2008

On 1-Feb-08, at 12:33 AM, Ben Goetter wrote:

>   But I dearly miss Emacs when working inside Squeak.

I'd have to say that I think you're completely missing out on a lot of
the Smalltalk Way in that case. I used emacs for *years*. I hated
modal editing (and as for vi... blech. overwrite mode? insert mode?
append mode? destroy-your-file-by-mistake mode?) and the totally
overbearing do-everything with only fifteen convenient keypresses
approach. I mean who *really* needs access to ctl-alt-opt-shift-meta2-
RMS to get an ascii portrait of Stallman in his speedos?

When your text is in small chunks  - and if you're writing large
chunks of code you're Doing It Wrong - you just don't need regular
expression handling that can find all files in a complex set of
directories based on your .emacsdirpathopt file(s) and then convert
all complexly specified search targets into complexly specified
contingent results and then rewrite each file; with another option to
specify what to do if the file is not writeable, of course.

Having said that, if you really insist on living within some demented
editor-as-OS world then you are quite at liberty to code up FFI calls
to provide access to method code to whatever editor you like and to
make use of OS facilities to have the editor save-file actions result
in the chunk of code being returned to the compiler for accepting. I
suspect that in the milieu of COM/OpenDoc type systems it could be
done quite well. I imagine it would be possible to hook up to XCode,
for example. But I'm afraid I won't be helping to implement it.

tim
A bug in the code is worth two in the documentation.