Meeting with Edgar notes

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 14:10:54 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 08:05:25PM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>    TO ALL:
>
>    Just we meet with Matthew and some words with Craig.
>    I also see Steph and Andreas sending feedback here or in release team
>    list.

Edgar and I met for 30 minutes this morning and discussed what a
3.11 based on 3.8.2 would look like, how to get there, and how
  one could have the best of both changesets and packages for
  the release process:

- Porting the 3.9 and 3.10 fixes back to changesets would be the
  best way to ensure the sanity of the release team. Edgar says
  the tool World > Open > PackageList could keep the image
  modular without MC loaded. I'm not sure how this works, but
  sounds interesting
- If we did that, how would we generate these change-sets? Edgar
  says an experimental branch using DeltaStreams in parallel
  with change sets may be useful, but we didn't discuss it much.

My comments about the meeting:
- A deltaStream-based update stream would be a good experiment,
  but DeltaStreams doesn't yet have a script to generate diff's
  from MCZ packages. However, I have made one before (as part of
  my SqueakSource commit emails project) that we could use to
  partially automate this conversion.
- DeltaStreams would be usable for this task, but not much so.
  But this would only be an experiment. I don't see DeltaStreams
  making the task of release easier for some time yet,
  especially as the file-out format is still
  not-forward-compatible binary, and no "subscription" mechanism
  exists yet in DS, due to it's alpha status. However, the core
  mechanism of change-model and SystemEditor is pretty stable,
  and is due for a stress test; this would be a good stress test
- I don't want to give you the impression that we are going to
  abandon the 3.10 release. Keith and I would like to maintain
  it via LPF just as much as Edgar wants to make 3.11 out of
  3.8.2. I would like there to be two 3.11 releases: one with
    traits and the other without. This just didn't arise in the
    meeting