[ANN] Open meeting regarding the Squeak Release Team

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at free.fr
Sat Feb 2 15:36:34 UTC 2008

Hi egdar

to make sure that I understand that correctly: 3.10 harvested a couple
of fixes (compared with the 685 mantis
items marcus closed) and you are telling that 3.11 will in addition
merge everything and reconcile all the forks.
This sounds optimistic and not really aligned with the results of
3.10. Don't you think?

Now a couple of weeks ago someone sent me this mail
"Just out of curiosity...
I wanted to write a mail, along the lines of...
I looked into the bugs fixed in 3.10... I'm a bit confused, though,
because there does not seem to be much progress in 3.10 with respect
to bug fixing. Is Mantis up to date? Is Mantis showing what I think it
should (I used the date + status filters)?

Below is a comparison of the number of reports for each possible state
in 3.9 (March 1, 2005 - Sept 30, 2006) and 3.10 (Oct 1, 2006 - today):
3.9		3.10 	status
----------------------------
276		254		new
19 		8		feedback
4		1		acknowledged
2		3		confirmed
70		111 	assigned
47 		10 		resolved
685		25 		closed

...but I did not send it (yet)"

And you know the saddest part is that is not that 3.10 harvested so
few fixes because this can happen. The saddest part is
that this person did not send his email because it means that people
get bored or at the end that we do not succeed to bring their
enthousiasm into the community. With this kind of attitude will may
lose on the long term. I like squeak because people  are sharing and
are enthousiast about it.
Of course managing the image with MC does not really work for
streaming changes. I really hope that MC2 will solve that. Colin told
me that it will: MC2 will really load only the difference and will not
have to rescan everything. Now MC2 is not ready and may be not ready.

So I will do 3.9.1 because some people asked me and after I will
really take the time to think about where I put
my energy. May do a call for building another fork of something
different from Squeak as it is now or simply do not care.
May be other dynamic languages are more fun at the end.

Stef