[ANN] Open meeting regarding the Squeak Release Team

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at free.fr
Sat Feb 2 19:26:24 UTC 2008

Hi guys

This is my last email on this topic because I do not want to lose all
my energy in that. If you can, I can't anymore but at least we proved
in the past that
we ere serious about what we did.

I think that if the goal is to produce a better squeak and bring back
changes from croquet, OLPC,
Sophie: here is a list of items to **work** on:

	- cleaner/leaner UI framework (may be removing MVC is the way to go
first).
	- more tests more tests more tests.
	- check all the changes one by one from all the streams and good luck.
	- better MC (probably MC2 + deltastreams) so that we can get the best
of CS and Packages
	at the same time. Atomic loading (did you help colin?)
	- more tests more tests more tests.
	- better packages (in terms of circular dependencies and so on you
	- stop maintaining etoy  which is touching too much stuff. (apply the
mac approach: deprecated experimental
	or old code not maintained anymore).
	- better network packages (squeak deserves better).
	- UI Builder, better browser (OB?).
	- consistent look, unification of browsers (we have far too much of
them), shortcut all the way down (squeak
	should be usable without a mouse).
	- better compiler (help enhancing the new compiler) and the old one
(compiler error such as variable shadowing
	should not just appear in the transcript but a real object).
	- harvest fixes (the good ones).
	- more tests more tests more tests.
	- involve people (our process was clearly not optimal but we ask for
help and few were helping us)
	but the one of 3.10 was a clear failure in term of its communication
with the simple people around like us.

BTW Smaller does not mean cutting shit in pieces, it means better
smaller pieces. Because lasagna
is just a bit better than spaghetti code.

Now if you think that traits is the problem, I urge you to  remove
them. This is easy and you will be
the saver of the great squeak community forever. But I still think
that our problems are elsewhere: class
depending on subclasses, fat interfaces, broken code, deadcode,
spaghetti code, old code, lack of documentation,
lack of tests.

Good luck! you will need a lot of that!

Stef