Complexity and starting over on the JVM

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Feb 5 00:54:46 UTC 2008

On 4-Feb-08, at 4:40 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Ahh, you kids, forgetting your roots.  We greybeards understand that
> "_" is
> actually the left arrow in the original fonts for the Xerox Parc
> Smalltalk80
> Release 2 image, from which Squeak is derived (via Apple and Disney
> and a cast
> of thousands).  That it now looks like "_" is merely an artifact of
> applying a
> modern meaning for slot 95 in the ASCII table.

Exactly. And it's about time we used unicode properly and had the
appropriate char for our assignment. This ':=" crap is just vile. What
is this, Pascal?

I quite like the leftwards sqiggle arrow"⇜" Unicode 21DC and RTF8 E2
87 9C but even plain boring  ← Leftwards Arrow unicode 2190 would be
ok. And how about ⤴ arrow pointing rightwards then curving upwards
unicode 2934 for return?

tim
Strange OpCodes: WAF: Warn After the Fact