#fork and deterministic resumption of the resulting process

Paolo Bonzini bonzini at gnu.org
Tue Feb 5 18:26:23 UTC 2008

> That's part of the reason why I won't pursue these changes here. To me
> these changes are just as important as the ones that I posted for Delay
> and Semaphore. However, unless one understands the kinds of problems
> that are caused by the current code it is pointless to argue that fixing
> them is important - I'm sure that unless people had been bitten by Delay
> and Semaphore we would have the same kinds of debates with all sorts of
> well-meant advise on how you "ought" to write your code ;-)

It's not that I don't think it's important.  I think the *bugs* are
important to fix, but that the root cause just *cannot* be fixed.  It's
just that:

1) the many people who made the same mistake maybe were just
cutting'n'pasting buggy code;

2) especially, the fix is not 100% safe unless I'm mistaken.

Paolo