Complexity and starting over on the JVM (was Re: Traits or not...)

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 20:56:32 UTC 2008

Hi Dan,

On Feb 5, 2008 7:37 PM, Dan Ingalls <Dan at squeakland.org> wrote:
> I'm actually nearly done with this process.  I'm in a ridiculous discussion about the name.  I had proposed JSqueak and got "push-back", as they say, from the trademark folks.  It appears that, if I'm willing to call it 'Idaho' or 'Potato' or something, then we're good to go.  It's clear Sun is happy to let it go and I am too.

that is extremely good news, thanks for sharing it! :-)

> Actually, it was neither:  I felt I needed to learn Java and the Java tools, so I picked the most fun thing I could think of to do.  I tried to make it really small and yet reasonably performant.  The simplicity should make it relatively easy to morph into something that integrates more closely with Java objects but that was not my focus.  It was more important to me to retain enumeration and mutation than to hook up to Java.

Some students of ours have been working on devising a kind of JIT
compiler (generating actual Java methods from Squeak CompiledMethod
instances, and calling the generated methods instead of interpreting
Squeak bytecodes) last summer semester. There was trouble with the
Squeak/Java interface, and also with the fact that debugging the image
from the outside is not the easiest thing to do... anyway, they made
quite a step, and I'm definitely intending to pursue this further.

Best,

Michael