Squeak on Nokia 800

subbukk subbukk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 06:43:31 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 05 Feb 2008 6:29:24 pm goran at krampe.se wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a n810 and I am interested. Just haven't gotten around to the
> Squeak part yet.
How about moving this thread to squeak-vm? That list has been quiet for too
long :-).

The Maemo team has done a splendid job in putting together a cross-compilation
kit for 8x0s but then the 8x0s is powerful enough to deserve a native
development env. Ideal for Forth and Smalltalk VM builders.

The current software stack on 8x0s is horribly bloated and don't do full
justice to the capabilities of the handheld. If we use Maemo to bootstrap
Squeak and use Squeak to boostrap Albert (or whatever Ian calls it these
days :-)) then we get a Pocket Alto. With 7 hours of active usage and 10 days
of standby time, the prospect of a pocket computer in which one can twiddle
all day long without reaching out for the nearest electrical socket is quite
appealing.

Subbu