Complexity and starting over on the JVM (why interoperability?)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 00:32:56 UTC 2008

On 07/02/2008, Paul D. Fernhout <pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:
> Igor Stasenko wrote:
> > Interesting, this subject showing up couple times before my eyes recently.
> > What is so precious in being able to interact with java?
>
> I think there are several issues, now that Java is finally "free" as in
> freedom (or mostly there anyway).

Your arguments take too long to read. Sorry, i don't mean any offense,
but such long posts are beyond my abilities to read.

So, in short, your main argument is to make smalltalk catch the tail
of java monster, making a small niche where smalltalkers can make
money from it.

I'm not a purist and never will say 'please keep distance' or anything
like that.
But what i don't like is, that in 95% cases, using such tool built on
top of JVM, and focused on interoperating with java means, that any
developer who might want to work with it should have bold experience
in both areas - smalltalk and java to be successful.

And, by raising the demands, what skills developer should have to be
able to work with it, you effectively increase training time, and
raise costs of development on such platform.
It's okay , for me, for being paid $1000 for an application which
putting 'Hello word' on screen, after half-year of study of new
platform. But i don't think that there is many people in the world who
will pay me such sum for that :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.