Complexity and starting over on the JVM (why interoperability?)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 04:23:31 UTC 2008

On 07/02/2008, Paul D. Fernhout <pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:

> In the corporate world, it's always an issue of investment (and risk) versus
> reward. There are a lot of Java programmers out there. If one of them can
> spend a few weeks learning a new software library and make valuable results,
> then it may be a very good investment. Something like 10% of worldwide IT
> budgets are spent on training. IT worldwide is a trillion dollar (US)
> industry (most spent on bespoke custom in-house solutions not shrinkwrap
> software), so that is like 100 billion dollars (US) annual budget to help
> people learn this new system (if it was popular. :-) OK, so maybe only 0.01%
> might be spent on learning this new system at first even if it was terrific,
> but that would still be US$10 million a year for training in it. At US$100K
> per person typical annual costs for a big corporation, that's about one
> thousand person months a year in the worldwide IT budget.
>
> But personally, I see this more as a tool for use in education and in my own
> personal free projects. But I didn't think it would hurt much to show people
> how they might get some financial benefit out of it in theory down the road.
> :-) But maybe it could hurt? So, forget about that. There is no commercial
> value in it. Forget everything I said about that. It's just fun and useful
> for me. :-)
>
> --Paul Fernhout

I don't buy arguments like:
- there are many people doing X, so what are you waiting for? Hurry
up, join them to do X.

Be it Java, C# or any other kind of technology , which success mainly
happens due to marketing and huge investments to develop them.
This is exactly the $250 000 basket ball story for me :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.