Updating Mantis status

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 8 01:39:36 UTC 2008

Updating Mantis status
   was Meeting with Edgar notes
from nicolas cellier's reply
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-February/124919.html

> nicolas wrote(at the end):
>
>And please, update Mantis status, current management
is a mess (issues
>harvested but status not updated).

This indeed deserves some attention.

Part of the problem is that mantis is a new tool for
most of the sqeuak community.
We are still learning how to use it effectively.

Managing it well will take several steps and a few
more iterations.

What would help:

1) clearly STATED roles and expectations.
  What updating of status is the responsibility of the
harvesters?
  What status should a report be in before a harvester
looks at it?

  What is expected of reporters?
  What is expected of updaters?
  What is expected of developers?

When should an issue be marked resolved?
When should it be marked closed?

2)Mantis allows customizing the names and number of
statuses. Our workflow and the way we use the current
ones probably requires a few more.
Who can we give the role of deciding and implementing
those additions. (Hi Ken :-)

3) How do we group issues together so that someone
fixing one can be aware of the others it might impact?

I started doing what I thought should be done. Matthew
Fulmer caught on and ran with it.

The thing is we can get a lot more work out of mantis
if give a little thought as to how it can assist our
work flow. We have right now accepted the defaults as
our limitations. This is not ideal.

4) Where do we discuss issues of how to use mantis
better?

5) OPLC Etoys has an etoys-notify list where their bug
tracker can send email about bug issues.
(auto-mail is much to boring for a converstational
list like squeak-dev)
Would it would be useful to have such a list?
Would their be folks who would follow it?

Yours in curiosity and service, --Jeorme Peace