3.10 - Mac OS X Leopard - accent chars and keyboard input

danil osipchuk danil.osipchuk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 11:22:23 UTC 2008

> Sorry, but I still can not understand why  the images 3.6, 3.7, 3.8,3 .9 &
> 3.10 work with accents on the windows vm and they don't do it using
> current unix vm, but work  (without using utf-8)  using older  unix-vm.
> After all this long thread I still can not see why it has to be fixed in the
> image, thus condemning all the previous squeak images on unix, and not fixed
> in the vm as windows vm has done, letting windows users choose any image and
> work with it without most problems. It does not sound logical.

The original idea of i18n (is it now correct? :)) for squeak seemed to sound
as "let's accept the imperfect world of VM differences and handle everything
on the smalltalk side". That was the origin for LanguageEnvironment logic,
when the instance tries to detect the system it is running upon and then
installs custom handlers for keyboard/clipboard/filesystem. It worked for
knowledgeable and persistent folks.

But.
I looked at the accent input on linux yesterday again and now I'm sure that
it can not be cleanly handled in terms of current LanguageEnvironment
infrastructure. That is, one has to patch event processing outside of
InputInterpeter. A changeset for the image if provided will be a definite
hack.

The VM has to be fixed (assuming that the image side internationalization is
considered to be stable).

Why the unix vm can not do what Andreas did: "The Windows VM should not
> report
> dead keys itself but rather the composed character" ?
> That would solve everything and all the past & present images would work.

Yes it would be great. No standard existed for the protocol of keyboard
events between the VM and the image. To me, it would be much, much nicer if
it was something well-defined and shared between platforms like ucs4
pointcode. The major move happened but we still not there.

cheers,
  Danil

Cheers.