Updating Mantis status

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Fri Feb 8 18:28:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 20:59 -0800, Jerome Peace wrote:
> >Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
> >Fri Feb 8 02:32:43 UTC 2008
> >On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 17:39 -0800, Jerome Peace
> wrote:
> >> Part of the problem is that mantis is a new tool
> for
> >> most of the sqeuak community.
> >> We are still learning how to use it effectively.
> >
> >Which, while perhaps true, is really rather sad since
> it has been in use
> >now for over 3 years.
> >
> Ummh. It takes a community longer to learn than an
> individual. And it takes some motivation.
> I have been using mantis to report 200+ issues and I
> comment on those others have posted.

What you say has some validity but it still seems like a very long time
to me.  Use of Mantis was really only meant to be temporary and I had
thought that by now we would have decided on another tool that would be
at least a better fit than any, including Mantis, that had come before.
Hope is on the horizon at least in the form of Gjallar and Delta Stream
and in work I believe is swimming around in the mind, at least, of Craig
Latta.

> >>   What updating of status is the responsibility of
> the
> >> harvesters?
> >
> >Huh?  I'm afraid I can't parse that.
>
>  Sorry, I've given this a lot of thought which didn't
> fit into the post. This has to do with work flow.
> When a stewart or release team harvests a fix then do
> they have the responsibility for updating the mantis
> reports status to resolved or closed from open or
> assigned?

Yes they do.  They are not the only ones who can do this but in the case
where a fix/enh is actually harvested they should update the status and
enter at least terse notes that would allow anyone with a little
diligence to follow a chain either from code in an image back to the
original report or vice versa be able to find the issue in Mantis and
find the code that eventually made it into a release to address the
issue.  I like to think of it as a short doubly linked list.

> >>   What is expected of updaters?
> >
> >Who?
> You have given people either reporter status or
> developer status. Mantis provides for a status
> inbetween that called updaters. People who have some
> abilities to update issues but not as much as
> developers.
>
> Since we have no updaters who are not also developers,
> updater is just a role for someone with updater
> abilities or better.

Those 'roles' were defined by Mantis and not necessarily reflective of
our particular processes.  While I've considered it, I don't believe
anyone in fact is marked as an updater.  A developer is anyone who can
modify an existing report much beyond the status of adding a note or
attachment.

So in practice we only really use two of these roles.  Anyone who
registers is automatically given abilities to report issues, add fixes,
comment, etc.  This is enough for many people.  For those who need more
than this then they become 'developers'.

> Yours in curiosity and service, --Jerome Peace

Ken